
ST LOUIS (LALATE) – Fukushima radiation and nuclear meltdown fears are prompting changes to China’s nuclear policies today. Radiation from Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan won’t impact China’s health, confirm Chinese officials to news Wednesday. But that isn’t stopping China’s State Council to change its nuclear policies effective immediately.
In a news statement released today, China’s State Council said it will halt approving any new nuclear reactors until after revised safety rules are enacted, existing reactors undergo a comprehensive check, and detailed analysis is concluded to prevent the turmoil in Japan from ever happening in China.
China’s change to nuclear policies comes after Germany changed its own nuclear policy this week regarding eight reactors and Russian underwent inspections of its nuclear power plants.
As reported Tuesday on LALATE, Fukushima Daiichi concerns have grown; unit 1 suffered a second explosion and unit 3 suffered its first explosion this week.
On Tuesday, Angela Merkel halted operators of Germany’s seven reactors for three months, previously proposed for shutdown in 2021. “I’m asking the Energy Ministry, Rosatom and the Environment Ministry to analyze the current state of the nuclear industry and future plans for the industry,” said Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin about his own reactors Tuesday.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login