Dancing with the Stars 2014 Results Tonight Prompts Elimination

Who Got Eliminated on Dancing with the Stars Tonight? Live DWTS Results Tonight

Earthquake Today 2014 Hits South Carolina, East of Atlanta, Georgia

Posted: February 14th, 2014 in Earthquake by LALATE

Earthquake Today 2014 Hits South Carolina East of Atlanta, Georgia

ST LOUIS (LALATE) – An earthquake today 2014 just hit South Carolina and Georgia, just east of Atlanta. The earthquake today February 14, 2014 began moments ago. Damage assessment is pending.

Officials tell news that a 4.4 magnitude South Carolina earthquake today hit just after 10:23 pm local time. The quake was shallow. It began only three miles below ground level. As a result the quake could be felt across the region.

USGS indicates to news that the quake was seven miles west of Edgefield, South Carolina. The quake was nineteen miles north of Evans, Georgia. It was east of Atlanta, Georgia and west of North Augusta. Reps tell news that the quake was roughly sixty miles southwest of Colombia, South Carolina.

USGS reports to news that “Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast.” They add that “A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. “

Earthquake

18 Responses to 'Earthquake Today 2014 Hits South Carolina, East of Atlanta, Georgia'

1. Doug V said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I felt it quite a bit north of Alpharetta GA

2. Sue Wayland said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I’m in North Augusta SC and we felt it bad here..parking lot where I am has huge cracks all over the place and a crack in the building next to us..was very scary and can’t believe all this bad weather and now this.

3. Ashley said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:01 pm

My mom felt it all the way in Elberton GA and she is an hour an a half to two hours away!

4. TJ said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I was in downtown Augusta, GA and it was felt fairly well there for about 10 seconds. I immediately got texts from other soldiers in and around FT Gordon, GA who also felt it. One friend reported that it “rattled some stuff on shelves”.

5. tabs said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Felt in Greer SC around 10:25. Felt one much less 2 years ago and it felt like the washing machine was shaking the house. The one tonight was much stronger: it felt like being in a boat and stopping in the middle of the lake, like rocking over the waves created by the boat.

Although we have had 13 reported in SC this year, we don’t usually feel them. This one was crazy for us because we don’t have them to the extent of actually feeling it.

Freaky weather lately. Our crapload of snow from February 11-13 just melted today, but we still have it on the ground – now an earthquake… getting alittle too odd for comfort.

6. John said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:16 pm

It shook our house in Jefferson Ga.

7. cherry said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:27 pm

i felt it definitively right here in the middle of atlanta in my townhouse. my bed was shaking and my drink on the bedside table was shaking!

8. Laura said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Felt very strong here in tucker, Ga.

9. William said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Shook house for 5 minutes. House on blocks over about 180 feet of sand. Live in Pond Branch.

10. Alex said,

on February 14th, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Travelers Rest SC. 10:20+- felt a long steady vibration at my desk for about 20+ seconds

11. Michael said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 4:52 am

I live in Cleveland, Ga. and was sitting at my desk and felt it for about 5 or so seconds. Crazy stuff.

12. Patti P said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 5:25 am

Last night (Feb 14) about 10:25, in Simpsonville SC, a wall in my home shook/vibrated strongly for about 15-20 seconds.

13. Jason Patton said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 5:32 am

It woke me up last night. My wife and I felt it for about 20 to 30 seconds. The bed was gently shaking back and forth. We live in Morganton, North Carolina which is located on I-40 roughly 50 miles north west of Charlotte.

14. Hermenegildo1984 said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 7:24 am

I am @ Greer 100 miles away of the earthquake , my wife and I felt it and we were thinking that the girls were playing very rough in the second story.

15. Barry Brown said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 7:26 am

It shook our house pretty good in Young Harris, Ga. We were watching a movie and it definitely got our attention. I immediately looked outside and noticed no wind. We felt a mild tremor several years ago in the early morning that was strong enough to wake the kids up.

16. Robin said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 7:56 am

It was felt in granite falls and hickory NC

17. Janice said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 7:57 am

I live in Winder, Ga & my husband & I felt it. I was asleep on the couch & it actually woke me up. The floor felt like it was moving under our feet & my husband sat up on the couch & said, What the *** was that? … we figured it had to be a minor quake. glad to know we were right, & not just imagining it.

18. Nancy Ramsden said,

on February 15th, 2014 at 9:01 am

I felt the quake in Abingdon, Va around 10:30 P.M. last night. The whole house shuddered for a few seconds.

You must be logged in to post a comment.