LOS ANGELES (LALATE) – A Brain-eating amoeba death of a 4 year old boy this week is the second reported case in just two weeks. Now health officials are investigating why there is an apparent increase in brain-eating amoeba deaths this 2013.
Days ago, a brain-eating amoeba killed Zachary Reyna for Florida. The twelve year old was a resident of Florida. This week, a 4 year old boy from Louisiana died form the brain-eating amoeba as well. Another child, 12-year-old Kali Hardig from Arkansas, survived an attack by the amoeba in July.
As to the 4 year old boy, Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals said that a friend’s home pool tested positive for the parasite. St. Bernard Parish President David Peralta believes that the boy was stuck by the brain-eating amoeba while swimming in the pool. “We are working with the parish to make sure precautionary measures are being taken while we await additional test results on samples taken from the area’s water system,” Assistant Secretary for Public Health J.T. Lane said in a statement.
There are only thirty-two reported cases of the amoeba striking humans between 2001 and 2010. “The Department of Health and Hospitals in Louisiana and CDC have confirmed that the death of a child staying in St. Bernard Parish was caused by infection with Naegleria fowleri and that the ameba was found in the plumbing system of the home,” the CDC said in a news statement this weekend.
How does the parasite strike? “The ameba is commonly found in warm freshwater (e.g. lakes, rivers, and hot springs) and soil. Naegleria fowleri usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. Once the ameba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is usually fatal.” For more click HERE.