ST LOUIS (LALATE) – The Pope’s butler, Paolo Gabriele, at the heart of a Vatican scandal 2012, will remain in custody as his investigation continues. The Paolo Gabriele investigation, however, is close to completion, officials tell news today.
Paolo Gabriele, the Pope Benedict’s butler, remains in a “safe room”, officials reported to news Thursday. The Vatican arrested Gabriele in May. But because Vatican City has no jails, officials have kept Gabriele in their version of a house arrest facility.
Officials tell news that the butler will remain in the safe room for a few more weeks. In a news briefing today, Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said that the investigation should be complete by the end of the summer.
Officials confirm that a Vatican magistrate has been questioning the butler for less than two weeks. But if a trial were to be conducted, it would not begin until the earliest this fall, Lombardi told news.
Officials said that no determination has been reached as to whether the butler will head to trial. Vatican law reportedly allows Gabriele to be held in custody for questioning no more than one hundred days. Officials would not tell news today if they intend to hold the butler even that long.
The butler remains charged with one count, aggravated theft. If tried and convicted, Gabriele could result in a six year jail term.
Lombardi previously told news “there is no one else under investigation at the moment.” But Roman news previously claimed that there were allegedly multiple persons behind the leaks including a high ranking cardinal. The butler has served under the Pope since 2006.
Paolo Gabriele, Pope