Pacquiao vs Algieri 2014 Winner - Who Won the Pacquiao Fight Tonight - Pacman Boxing Results Today

Pacquiao Fight Start Time - What Time is the Pacquiao Fight On | What Channel is the Pacquiao Fight | Pacquiao vs Algieri Live Results 11/22/14

Carmen Winstead Death – 1823 Sewer Drain Tale Prompts Confusion

Posted: June 16th, 2012 in Carmen Winstead by LALATE

Carmen Winstead Death - 1823 Sewer Drain Tale Prompts Confusion

LOS ANGELES (LALATE) – The Carmen Winstead death story about a girl who was pushed down a sewer drain is prompting confusion again this weekend.
Is the Carmen Winstead 1823 sewer drain death story true or false? The story surfaced online in the advent of current social media. In roughly 2006, users reported receiving a bizarre email about Winstead’s purported death in 1823. Those emails, however, are resurfacing again today. Did Carmen Winstead really die in 1823, falling down a drain? Despite whether the story is true or false, many this weekend are commenting about its powerful message against bullying.

Carmen Winstead, David Gregory, Jessica Smith and Ron Anderson are the cast of characters in a tale that began on MySpace in 2006. And while that social media platform no longer dominates news, the Carmen Winstead story is still dominating news, and prompting confusion.

Carmen Winstead didn’t die in 1823. The tale of a 17 year old girl who fell down a drain, or was pushed down a sewer opening, is a fabricated story. The made up story aka urban legend began in roughly 2006. But in the last two years, the fake story still dominates news, resurfacing annually.

In 2011, there were three version of the fabricated tale. The first read that Carmen Winstead was pushed down a sewer opening. “About 6 years ago in Indiana, Carmen Winstead was pushed down a sewer opening by 5 girls in her school, trying to embarrass her in front of her school during a fire drill.” It added “When she didn’t submerge the police were called. They went down and brought up 17 year old Carmen Winstead’s body, the neck broke hitting the ladder, then side concrete at the bottom. The girls told everyone she fell… They believed them.”

Since 2006, that fabricate tale has been supplemented with an email about Carmen Winstead’s purported ghost taking vengeance. Over the last three years, users have reported receiving, upwards of fifteen times per year, an email that describes the fabricated tale about Carmen. It then adds “Two months ago, 16 year old David Gregory read this post and didn’t repost it. When he went to take a shower he heard laughter from his shower, he started freaking out and ran to his computer to repost it, He said goodnight to his mom and went to sleep.” Hours later, Gregory was dead, claims the tale.

Since 2010, however, other versions of the same fake death story has surfaced online. The same email is often sent with the title characters of Winstead replaced by Jessica Smith and Gregory replaced with Ron Anderson.

This week, the story is back dominating social media, reportedly both on Facebook and Twitter. One reader wrote “I’m so disturbed by the amount of people on here that believe this story and are making up more stories about how this is true. ” One user reported last month that they have “gotten this message probably 10 times in my life since I was a kid”.

And while many readers understand that the story is false, today the message against bullying is resonating even stronger. “Guys, come on! The point of this forward is bullying.” Another reader added “Bullying is wrong, and people really can be that mean. But I’m going to have to call this a fake.” As one noted, “I do agree that it sends a very powerful message about bullying but it isn’t a true story.”

Carmen Winstead

18 Responses to 'Carmen Winstead Death – 1823 Sewer Drain Tale Prompts Confusion'

1. Katilynn said,

on July 6th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

wow i shared it to on facebook

2. emmypeth said,

on March 11th, 2013 at 6:09 am

Haw did they get to know david heard a sound in the bathroom and dying in da sewer doesnt mean its carmen killing,taking decisions whether i will repost or not is not a crime so y should she kill innocent people.dat injustice so think twice before reposting cos seeing is believing:/

3. Dasetka said,

on March 11th, 2013 at 11:48 am

It’s not only twitter and Facebook I saw the post on Instagram and it just said Carmen was pushed down stairs but I posted it anyway

4. keyvah said,

on April 4th, 2013 at 11:19 am

i think they pushed carmen

5. anayzia said,

on April 4th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

i swear i realllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyythink they pushed her

6. chelsea said,

on April 12th, 2013 at 8:32 am

i belived this i reposted this on facebook and i think its sick what they done no one should be bullyied fo no reason no reason at all love you forever carmon

7. Scott said,

on May 10th, 2013 at 11:42 am

How does she send an email in 1823?

8. Chaiti said,

on May 28th, 2013 at 12:02 am

It’s scary but I too think that it’s true…may carmen’s body r.i.p :)

9. Jessia said,

on August 18th, 2013 at 12:29 am

I did re-post tis on facebook, I believe it so far but I will be researching this and get more facts im interested Now LOL C:

10. jalexis/jalyssa said,

on September 21st, 2013 at 7:49 pm

She was pushed…

11. ANDREA said,

on November 18th, 2013 at 11:52 am

I saw this on Facebook, I did re-post it after all I’m totally against bullying and I do believe in Urban Legends. They are all based on one True Story and then changed time and time again.

12. Dai said,

on December 28th, 2013 at 7:41 am

Hi my name is Carmen. I’m 17years old. I am very similar to you… Did I mention to you that I’m dead. A few years ago a group of girls pushed me down a sewer hole to try and embaress me. When I didn’t come back up the police came. The girls said that I had fell and everyone believed them. The police found my body in the sewer. I had a broken neck and my face was torn off. Send this message to 15 people after you read the whole message if you value your life! A boy called David recieved this message. He just laughed and deleted it. When he was in the shower he heard laughing… MY LAUGHTER! He got really scared, rushed to his phone to repost this message… But he was too late. The next morning his mum entered his bedroom and all she found was a message written in his blood saying, “You will never have him back!” No one has found his body yet… beacuse he is with me! A girl called Charlotte recieved this message and she immeadiatly sent it to 25 people (10 more than required). I still watch over every second of her life to make sure that she is safe and to keep her and everyone close to her out of danger. Send this to 15 people in the next 5 minutes if you don’t want your fate to be the same as David’s. Your time starts… NOW! The story is true you can research it.

13. Courtney said,

on February 23rd, 2014 at 9:08 am

My friend sent me this and I waz like I’m not gonna do it i don’t think this is real and I didn’t do it so my friend me it yesterday and today i looked it up and they said it waz false I asked my mom f she knew anything and she said no . But today I’m still here and I’m never gonna resend it I have seen nothin on Twitter about this so this aint true dont believ this story it is not TRUE

14. Carmen (Jessica) said,

on March 11th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Hi it is me.My story is real.I love you people just like I love Harry Styles.XOXO,Carmen Winstead (Jessica Smith)

15. bigal1870 said,

on May 25th, 2014 at 9:34 pm

this is fake! And if this is to support anti bullying! This story is bullying people!! It’s bullying people into thinking they have to repost or they will be killed for not reposting! not a very good anti bully story!

16. Nicole Poirier said,

on May 27th, 2014 at 10:08 am

This is so sad thet pushed her r.i.p hinny

17. Nicole Poirier said,

on May 27th, 2014 at 10:10 am

They pushed her

18. Sue Lowe said,

on July 8th, 2014 at 4:35 am

They hurt her. But I think this story in itself is bullying. If people are repost this because they are afraid then that’s not right either.

2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014