CALIFORNIA EARTHQUAKE NEWS – An earthquake has hit Northern California today January 9 2010. The Northern California earthquake today hit roughly 30 minutes ago off the coast of Northern California.
USGS reports at 4:27 PM PST Saturday a 6.5 earthquake struck off the coast of Northern California. Because the quake had almost no depth, less than 1 mile below the water’s surface, the quake could be felt for miles. The closest significant town is Ferndale roughly 22 miles North West.
USGS data is as follows:
Location 40.674°N, 124.655°W
Depth 16.4 km (10.2 miles)
Region OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
* 35 km (22 miles) WNW (288°) from Ferndale, CA
* 39 km (24 miles) W (261°) from Humboldt Hill, CA
* 41 km (26 miles) WSW (256°) from Bayview, CA
* 43 km (27 miles) WSW (253°) from Eureka, CA
* 361 km (224 miles) NW (312°) from Sacramento, CA
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles); depth +/-
No reports of injury.