adultadhdisreal.com Howie Mandel!

Posted: October 17th, 2008 in Howie Mandel by LALATE

adultadhdisreal.com Howie Mandel

Howie Mandel’s adultadhdisreal.com is part of his Adult ADHD Is Real campaign to increase awareness about adult ADHD which is treatable. Mandel’s adultadhdisreal.com website is raising attention of ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder among adults.

The website is from Mandel and a coalition of groups increasing education of ADHD with help from Shire.

Howie says:

“When I was in high school, my impulsivity led me to all kinds of acts and pranks. I had trouble sitting still and could hardly focus or pay attention in class. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I was diagnosed with ADHD. I’m involved in the Adult ADHD Is Real campaign because I want adults to know that it’s never too late to seek help for ADHD. I hope that sharing my story encourages people to seek help. I didn’t let ADHD prevent me from achieving my goals and neither should anyone else.”

65% of children with ADHD reportedly may still have it as an adult.

“The symptoms of ADHD impact millions of adults at work, at home, and in relationships. The Adult ADHD Is Real campaign provides a much needed platform to educate people about the disorder,” says Lenard A. Adler, MD, Director of the Adult ADHD Program at NYU Langone Medical Center. “Although there is no cure for ADHD, there are treatment plans available that may help successfully manage ADHD symptoms. It’s important to speak with a doctor if you think you may have the disorder.”

The website presents information about symptoms, health care professionals information, links to psas, and more.

Says ACO, ADDA, and CHADD:

“It is imperative for the public to be aware that ADHD is a real disorder for those with ADHD, with potential consequences for adults with ADHD and everyone around them. We commend Howie for sharing his story and hope that it empowers other adults who think they may have the disorder to seek out more information on ADHD by visiting AdultADHDIsReal.com.”

Howie Mandel

8 Responses to 'adultadhdisreal.com Howie Mandel!'

1. Kathryn Taylor said,

on March 9th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I am now a Grand Mother I have been living and thriving with Dyslexia and Adult ADHD for many many years but i have achieved many unexpedted things. i won my own Business. I know I could work with my hands and learned to be a dental tech. I have owned my own business for over 20 years. I always had my office in my home so I was able to be an at home mom for my girls. My oldest daughter was diagnosed with Bi-Polar at the age of 18 and my youngest was diagnosed with Turret Syndrome when she was 5. She is 24 now and has only a few ticks that she is able to keep under control. She is a very creative Writer and writes Stories and screenplays. One is being looked at by a friend that has a few friends, one being the Make A Wish Foundation that are very interested in it. Her creativity and humor are a gift that she gives freely. Dealing with unforgiving challenges gives a young person a depth of character that you wouldn’t find in most. She is the best person I know.

2. Kathryn Taylor said,

on March 9th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I am now a Grand Mother I have been living and thriving with Dyslexia and Adult ADHD for many many years but I have achieved many unexpected things. I own my own Business. I knew I could work with my hands and learned to be a dental tech. I have owned my own business for over 20 years. I always had my office in my home so I was able to be an at home mom for my girls. My oldest daughter was diagnosed with Bi-Polar at the age of 18 and my youngest was diagnosed with Turret Syndrome when she was 5. She is 24 now and has only a few ticks that she is able to keep under control. She is a very creative Writer and writes Stories and screenplays. One is being looked at by a friend that has a few friends, one being the Make A Wish Foundation that are very interested in it. Her creativity and humor are a gift that she gives freely. Dealing with unforgiving challenges gives a young person a depth of character that you wouldn’t find in most. She is the best person I know.

3. Carolina Maleducata said,

on August 5th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I have read Howie Mandel’s book Don’t Touch Me and was relieved to discover I am not alone. I could so much relate to him and his ADHD disorder. I have been diagnosed with it in my thirties and I am in my forties now. It is so frustrating when you do something and do not consider the consequences and then get in trouble. I mean what do you say? How do you explain yourself?

I also like to play pranks to get a reaction our of people. Unfortunatly I did it in a court room during my divorce and ended up looking real bad. I cannot tell you the lengths I have gone to get people’s attention. The funny things I have said and done to get a reaction. Mostly because my brain is so bored.

4. Cinnamon Girl said,

on August 5th, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Howie, Help me. I have terrible ADHD and not even the Ritalin works. I take more to help me but it literally puts me to sleep. They gave me a long acting Concerta and I had to take two for it to work. I have some help from this medication but when it wears off I am where I started.
    I see a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. I ruined my life with doing things out of impulse. I even got divorced because I was sure my husband was going to kill me when he found out I was seeing someone else.
    I lost everything. I played pranks on people and lost friendships and my relatives don’t trust me anymore. I gave up on my ADHD meds. I don’t drink or do drugs or smoke.
    My boyfriends just don’t understand my childish sense of humour. One found me jumping up and down on his bed when he came home and kicked me out. I was just having fun.
    I don’t know what to do anymore. I am bored to death and constantly seek something exciting to do and something that will shock people.
    ADHD has ruined my life. Maybe I should take my concerta. I seem to be more focused on it and can at least stay still and function more as an adult than a child for a few hours.
    I feel like a freak. I also am a cutter. I cut myself to release inner pain. Not enough to hurt myself just enough to feel some pain and enjoy it.
    By now whoever is reading this must think I am a complete lunatic. My psychologist says there is nothing wrong with me except that I have an OCD fear of death. I cannot fall asleep as I have a fear that I will die in my sleep. I fear that this heart of mine will just stop beating. Doesn’t it make sense? We have a heart and it beats and it could just stop any moment and then we are dead!!! Yes, I said dead!!!
    Anyways, this is about as much attention span that I have to write. So maybe I will write back another time. Thanks for reading, that is, if you got this far.
    Cinnamon Girl

5. Curry Boy said,

on August 5th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Dear Cinnamon Girl: Don’t worry. You are a normal person with normal behaviour. Just because We have ADHD and fears does not mean life is going to end. I understand where you are coming from. I wish I could hold you and tell you everything is going to be allright. The truth is that it is not ever going to be allright for us outcasts of the world. Ask Howie. Did you read his book? It is amazing and I think you may be able to relate to it.
    There is medication to help you.
    Try Biphentin, a long acting Ritalin that comes even in 80mg. Concerta only comes in 54mg the most. With that you are only getting about 30 mg of ritalin. I don’t know where you live as the laws are different in different states. In Canada 60mg of Ritalin is the most you can get from a doctor, if they abide by the rules and regulations of prescribing dose.
    Hope I have been of help. Don’t fret. Help is only a pill away.

6. its not me again said,

on August 5th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This just goes to show the compulsive and impulsive acts that my ADHD make me act out and write out. See what I mean? Once I start I cannot stop. Its like what Howie writes about in his book where he is a Carpet salesman and makes up all these different people on the phone to make the company sound bigger than it was.
    We want to make an impact. We want to shock the pants off of you. We want to make you laugh and we want to make you know how weird we are inside. We don’t care. We are living with OCD and ADHD and our lives are controlled by these impulses.
    God help us.
    Love to all
    Yes, it is me……again.

7. Holly Lapowski said,

on June 19th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I have read howie mcdonald’s book and i am one of his greatest fans. I didnt konw that he hsa add. sorry i am dsylixic and cant spell from scotland usa. i just want to say how hpaayp i am thta he is sick with thsi disesease also. thank yuo

8. Minnie Uckme said,

on November 21st, 2013 at 9:42 am

Holly, it is not a disease. It is a mental disorder.